Data Privacy Rubric
Developed by the 1EdTech Community
The 1EdTech Data Privacy Rubric aims to establish a baseline for evaluating an application's privacy protections. The rubric is used by 1EdTech to vet and certify applications. The detailed reports are shared in 1EdTech's TrustEd Apps™ Directory for members. The report findings can be used by education institutions in their own application review and/or procurement decision-making process.
Review 1EdTech's Data Privacy Specification
Explore the Data Privacy Rubric
Assess Whether Your Privacy Policies Meets, Partially Meets, or Does Not Meet Expectations
How are changes to key policies managed?
- Do the policies list all data collected?
- Do the policies indicate how data is collected?
- Do the policies state who owns the data?
- Do the policies allow users to delete their data entirely?
- Do the policies state the retention of data?
- Do the policies state how data is protected?
- Do the policies state all confidential & sensitive information is encrypted throughout?
- Do the policies state whether or not it enforces strong password creation?
- Do the policies indicate whether or not it leverages 2 step (or other forms of multifactor) authentication?
- Do the policies state the use of third parties?
- Do the policies state what information is shared with each third party?
- Do the policies state whether or not users can opt out of third-party data sharing?
- Do the policies state if the supplier requires third parties to adhere to the terms of the vendor/customer agreement?
- Do the policies state whether or not the user is notified of a change in third parties?
- Do the policies indicate if advertisements are displayed?
- Do the policies indicate whether or not users are targeted for advertisement?
- Do the policies indicate whether or not any third parties track or collect information for advertisement?
- Do the policies indicate whether or not web beacons or other tracking methods are used for ad purposes?
- Do the policies state whether or not users can opt out of sharing data with advertisers?
Please refer to the Data Privacy Specification for a comprehensive review of the Data Privacy Rubric.
Additional Compliance Areas
In addition to the criteria outlined in the Data Privacy Rubric, 1EdTech offers valuable insights into the degree of compliance with a wide range of regulatory policies, ensuring a thorough assessment of data privacy practices.
Have Questions? We Have Answers.
Wait. You're Not a 1EdTech Member?
When you join 1EdTech, you'll collaborate with the brightest minds in education and technology. Whether as a Contributing, Affiliate, or Alliance member, our spirit fuels our determination to improve education.